Wednesday, January 28, 2009

441. Ice

I woke up about 20 minutes ago to the very loud sound of limbs breaking and falling somewhere close to my bedroom windows. A small tree, the only one left in front of the house after the first two were taken out by Hurricane Ike back in September, is now history, bent over in three places, snapped in two like wooden matchsticks. Further noises, so far, have proven to be ice and snow sliding off the gabled portion of the house as well as the garage in the back. There are two very slender and tall trees between my house and the house to the west which have me greatly concerned. Out in the alley in the back, the remains of a large tree, most of which came down back in September, are now scattered like kindling. While looking out the front door, the limbs of a tree in the alley behind the house across the street fell out of the sky, creating a noise as if they were within a few handspans. The lights have blinked a few times, but thus far, as is evident by this entry, power is on. It's been a few years since we've had a serious ice storm. I can only remember three or four really bad ones in my life - this is another one. The last I recall was in 1994 - surely there has been one since then. We'll see what tomorrow brings although the forecast isn't too promising.

I used to really like winter. Maybe I am getting old.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.