Saturday, May 10, 2008

330. Briefly, KDP event last night.

Everyone else was live blogging, so this is admittedly not the freshest news. But, I did have fun.

Arrived early to crowds of volunteers and staffers being kept from the room until way too late.

There was a large anteroom for candidates to greet the guests. I was there to work John Yarmuth's table. As it turned out, the anteroom activity was mostly the candidates and their supporters greeting each other. We were placed about 150 feet out of the general route of the arriving guests and very few made the journey over to the sidelines.

Worked the John Yarmuth table with Lisa Tanner, Shannon White, Jessie Phelps, and Brandon Jewell. Lisa came over early and worked setting the table up which was really nice, so she left early. Orange balloons. The John Yarmuth campaign owns the color orange. I think that was Dan Borsch's idea in 2006. John eventually visited our table and we had a nice chat.

Met and spoke with Heather Ryan, Democratic candidate for Congress in the 1st. Her table was to John's right. At the Democratic Women's Club table to our left were Joyce, Mary Allgeier, and Dottie Winfield. I've known Mary and Dottie since high school having gone to school with their sons. KDW President Diane Wood was there briefly and I took all their pictures.

Harry Johnson was working the Fischer table. Harry and I go back to the 1979 Lieutenant Governor's primary.

I spoke brielfy with Mrs. Press of Lexington about the evening. She is always interesting and delightful.

Several of the several candidates for Jefferson District Judge were there although Shellie Santry easily made the best impression with her large lavender sign in the corner. Met her husband, who is from Philadelphia, then Boston. Says he loves living in Louisville.

Chatted with Cathy Yarmuth who is the best candidate spouse ever.

Then we went into the big hall. I did not buy my way into the expensive seats, although I did try to sneak in, but to no avail. Had a good time meeting and greeting out front. Eventually my friend Keith Dickerson arrived - for the record he is not the Keith Dickerson who made the papers yesterday. That one was white and 35 - this one is African-American and 24.

Saw all the media, most of whom were blogging. Listened to Wanda Mitchell-Smith's long prayer about union. She mentioned union seven times. She is a Union leader. She did not invoke the Son's name at the end of her prayer but rather made it all-inclusive. I don't think God really cares how we end our prayers as long as we pray, but a lot of progressives make a big deal about it, as I have here.

DuPont Manual High School sent a chorale group which sung the National Anthem and My Old Kentucky Home. That was good.

Chatted a little with Jon Hurst. We'll get together after the Primary, the end of which is finally coming into sight. Chatted a little with Aniello Alioto, who is working for Obama and Lunsford. I saw Lunsford briefly. And Lynn Fischer, sister of Greg. I did not see Cassaro or anyone from his campaign. I met a tall woman named Stephanie who works for Congressman Chandler and so I made a joke about Chandler's Chief of Staff Denis Fleming, for whom I was a paralegal in the 1990s. God only knows what else I said. She was with Aaron Horner and a few others on a smoke break. But, I digress.

Jennifer Moore, Dan Borsch's girlfriend and simultaneously Chair of the Kentucky Democratic Party began the night. No wait, David Tandy was up there for a while but I have no idea what he said. Then my congressman spoke but he was interrupted by some very rude Clinton supporters, which was uncalled for.

Then maybe Jennifer spoke again. I had a two beers and part of a Bloody Mary. What was I thinking? Keith had red wine. I even bought Harry Johnson a Bloody Mary. Again, what was I thinking? While I was at the bar, they read out the names of the State Central Committee. Jimmy Morphew (of Paducah) and I were standing out front chatting about the 1st CD at the time. When our names were called, we clapped for each other.

I did not see many other State Committee members there, although they may have been in the more expensive seats. I saw Jeremy Horton, who was very busy with headphones and a walkie talkie, and Millie Diehl, and Jimmy Morhpew. That was it. I know Tim Longmeyer was in there but he is still upset with me that I found fault in the way he has ran the Jefferson County part of the KDP reorg, so we didn't chat.

Eventually, we left. I was tired and I still had work to do in the Ken Herndon campaign before getting to sleep.

One final thought - strictly my opinion with no basis in actual knowledge. I didn't get a chance to see my friend Jerry Lundergan who in all likelihood arranged this whole thing. He saw a chance to help the Party raise money and agreed to bring in his good friend Hillary Clinton to help do so. She had been here before at his behest and for the same reason, as had the former President, her husband Bill Clinton. For all the Lundergan haters out there, and there are several, Jerry is a good guy. He may have a rough personality and you may not like him. But for four years, while there was a Republican in the Governor's Mansion, through whatever means, he personally kept the Kentucky Democratic Party open and alive and viable enough to help elect Steve Beshear in 2007. Lundergan's very good friend Greg Stumbo helped in that effort as well. So, if, as I believe, that Jerry had a large part in last night's affair - here is my thanks to him.

One final thought - His Honor the Mayor of Louisville-Jefferson County Metro was there for about 15 minutes. (Did you get that Paul? - fifteen minutes. No doubt he was off to a soccer game or something more important).

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.