Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

Today is Easter Sunday, the Day of Resurrection of Jesus. Without Easter there would be no reason for Christianity. With all its diverse beliefs, schisms, offshoots, sects, megachurches, tiny chapels, and divisions, through it all, whether Protestant or Roman Catholic or Orthodox or anywhere in between, all of Christendom shares with each other because of Easter. Happy Easter.

Below are the words of two old hymns I've known since I was little kid. They are two of the earliest songs I learned to play on the piano. Both remind me of my grandmother who died in 1976 and even of her mother, my greatgrandmother, who died in 1967. If I knew how, I'd provide a YouTube link for both of them. You'll just have to do that on your own.

The hymns are In the Garden and He Lives.

In the Garden
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The son of God discloses

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet that the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

Chorus:
And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He Lives
I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today;
I know that He is living, Whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him He's always near.

In all the world around me I see His loving care,
And tho my heart grows weary I never will despair;
I know that He is leading Thro' all the stormy blast,
The day of His appearing Will come at last.

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian, Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs To Jesus Christ the King!
The hope of all who seek Him, The help of all who find,
None other is so loving, So good and kind.

Chorus:
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me - and He talks with me - Along life's narrow way.
He lives, He live, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives: He lives within my heart.

From the Gospel of Saint Matthew, Chapter 28, Verse 6: "He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.