Wednesday, September 1, 2010

644. September Opens with a Democratic Opening


First, Happy September. Today is Buddy Vaughn's birthday. He is a friend from college days in Lexington and is a year or so older than me. To celebrate he sent me, via Facebook, Jerry Orbach's recording of September Song from the Broadway musical The Fantasticks. The Fantasticks opened off-Broadway the year I was born and ran continuously for forty-two years, making it the world's longest running off-Broadway musical. It reopened in 2006 and is still running. The story is a combination of Romeo and Juliet along with A Midsummer's Night Dream. But then most everything to me can be reduced to something from either Shakespeare or the Bible. Still, the song is one of my favorites. But this isn't a theater entry.

Rather, this is a political entry, albeit brief. If politics isn't your cup-of-tea, click on the "travel" link on the right and read about something else.

If you are still with me, it has been a good day politically here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606. The Democratic Party opened its Coordinated Campaign Headquarters, which is being co-sited with the Jefferson County Headquarters at 640 Barret Avenue, behind the old Jillians, a few feet northwest of Broadway, specifically in precinct L115, the home precinct of State Representative Tom Riner.

A crowd of about 250 gathered in the parking lot under warm but comfortably breezy skies for the occasion which featured speaking from Congressman John Yarmuth, mayoral candidate Greg Fischer, State Representative Reginald Meeks, and U. S. Senate candidate Jack Conway. Food and drinks were served.

After that, I attended a fundraiser for Greg Fischer at the home of Congressman Yarmuth. For the purposes of full disclosure, I am a paid consultant to both campaigns and this criss-crossing of the two was convenient for me, if nothing else. After the fundraiser, I stuck around the Congressman's home with other friends and family members for several discussions of great import. Needless to say, I learned a lot simply by listening.

I'm not one to take too many pictures and I keep forgetting my phone doubles as a camera (among other things). I did snap a picture today of my friend Shawn Reilly at the earlier Democratic rally. I've always been appreciative of the fact that Shawn, along with Josh Mather, were the first people who came over to Yarmuth's headquarters after the '06 Primary in which their candidate for Congress came up short - within a few days. That was classy on their part. Here is a pic of Shawn at today's event.



That's all for now. September should prove to be interesting - and far more comfortable than August.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.