Saturday, November 20, 2010

660. Changes

That title - Changes - implies a lot. 2010 has been a year of changes for me. But this posting will not address all of that. I'm not ready to face all of those changes just yet, and much less write about them anymore than I have.

But I get comments not on the blog but in person from people reminding me to blog more often. I have gradually gotten out of the habit of blogging. While I could blame it on a number of things, mostly it has just been laziness - not taking the time to do it. And, like billions of other people, I have been blogging, so-to-speak, a lot more often in short paragraphs on Facebook and in 140 space comments on Twitter. Somehow I need to marry these social media thoughts with the blog so that we don't lose relevance or viability here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606. It may or may not be too late, I don't know.

So, as a starter, my plan is to blog here more often by repeating some of the things I write about over on Facebook. I know I have at least one time copied over here a lenghty exchange on Facebook between me and Preston Bates, someone I used to converse with a lot but that haven't actually spoken with or seen in person for over three months. Nonetheless, we do get caught in the Facebook web now and then. So, again as a plan, I will be entering shorter posts on occasion copied from my own words, and those of others, from Facebook and/or Twitter.

I plan also to outright steal an idea from Brandon Klayko, who blogs at the Broken Sidewalk (www.brokensidewalk.com), a great blog concerning development and traffic patterns from around Louisville and the world. Brandon used to post pictures taken along one of Louisville's streetscapes and then ask his readers to identify the location. He hasn't done that since October 5th when he posted a picture taken in the 300 block of W. Woodlawn Avenue. I always enjoyed trying to guess the location and making comments when appropriate.

Given that there hasn't been such a posting in seven weeks, I will start the same game myself. If Brandon restarts the game on his end, I'll rethink my plagiarism.

So, that's the plan. We see if my execution fares well or not. Tomorrow I will post the first of the "Hidden Location" spots for my seven faithful readers to take a stab at identifying. I do not plan to limit the pictures to Louisville and Jefferson County, although most will be from this area. Some will also be out in the state or over in southern Indiana. But tomorrow's, as an introduction, will be a Louisville location. So, stay tuned.

Unrelated, today would have been my paternal grandfather's 104th birthday. His name was U. G. Noble, and he was a native of Alabama. He died on July 5, 1987 in Shelbyville and is buried at Louisville Memorial Gardens West in Shively.

Thanks for reading. Remember to look for tomorrow's Hidden Location stumper.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.