Saturday, February 2, 2008

272. Sorry, I've been busy

Happy Ground Hog Day. If any of Punxsutawney Phil's Kentucky cousins came out of their holes here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606 this morning, we should brace ourselves for six more weeks of something. I hesitate to say Winter because we haven't had much of that. We have had some scattered snow flurries, a few very cold nights, and a tornado or two (out of season), but we haven't had Winter. We haven't even had a good frost or heavy fog. It is beautiful and sunny here today with a temperature of 29 degrees, very close to Louisville's average temperature for this time of year.

I haven't been posting because, frankly, I've just been busy. I've had a few too many balls up in the air, many more than I can comfortably and effectively handle, which is usually about 1, or maybe 2. So the blog has taken a back seat to some other priorities for the moment, and probably will for a few days.

This being busy has meant I missed out on the Chris Theinemann news, the governor's budget address, the recent maturity and friendliness shown between Obama and Clinton, and McCain's apparent path toward clinching the Republican nomination, something which I think helps out whoever our eventual Democratic nominee is given that a number of Republicans dislike McCain, who, like Romney, has been here and there and everywhere on a number of issues over time, and has repeatedly been antoagonistic towards the Republican Party leadership. He is sort of like a Liebermann, except he is their Leibermann, not ours.

Expect light posting for a few more days, although I am sure that Super Tuesday will at least get me thinking about posting something. I expect Tuesday will bring most of the 2008 presidential campaign to an end, or rather a beginning, as I believe both parties will have a clear picture of who their nominees will be sometime late Tuesday or early Wednesday, nominees I expect to be Clinton and McCain. I am sure if I am wrong, some one will let me know in no uncertain terms.

I will say this about the process. This presidential election has already been way too damn long, and the actual balloting is still nine months hence. I recently wrote about supporting SB3 moving Kentucky's primary date to later in the season, along with its filing date. I still strongly support that, along with its provision to do away with the gubernatiorial run-off. But, I understand an amendment has been added to the bill which would move Kentucky's presidential primary to the First Tuesday in February, Super-Dooper-Stupor Tuesday. This I oppose. All of the states that do not already have an early Primary should band together and set their date sometime later in the season, so as to have an impact. Moving Kentucky in amongst 22 other states and territories, including New York, California, and Illinois, makes no sense. We will become one of the "other states" which also had elections of that day. Adding this provision to that bill strongly lessens my support of it.

But, as they say, the legislative process is akin to making sausages, something I am told ain't pretty.

Tuesday is also Mardi Gras Day. Enjoy.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.