Thursday, February 21, 2008

280. Random plans for a Trip

I trekked [mapped] out on Google-Maps today the path I would take driving to Denver, Colorado if I am to go later this summer for the Democratic National Convention. Not as a delegate is my plan; rather I am angling to do some sort of staffing work if at all possible. Others of course will take to the friendly skies, but I prefer the open roads. Besides, I've never really driven much to the West at all - Fancy Farm, while a long ways off, really doesn't count. All of my driving travels outside the confines of the Commonwealth have generally been to the east, northeast, and southeast.

For such a trip west, I'd like to go by way of Springfield, Illinois on the way to revisit the Old State House, where both Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama launched their presidential campaigns, albeit several years apart.

I'd also like to go ot Omaha, Nebraska, where last year the University of Louisville Baseball team played in a collegiate world series of sorts. Both are along the way. On the return trip, I've got Wichita, Kansas on the journey, mostly because I've never been there. Another Springfield, this one in Missouri, is also scheduled. I have Hockensmith cousins there I've not seen in over twenty years, the children of my grandfather's younger brother William B. Hockensmith, of that city.

Saint Louis is a point both going and coming. I've been there many times and always like a return visit. And, unlike Louisville-Jefferson County Metro, they still have a City and a County, and the legislators in their city are called Aldermen, an office I wish we still had here in the Urban Services District of Louisville, along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606.

*****

I'm listening to Barack and Hillary. It sounds like another love-fest so far. Outside, we had ice earlier. Now we have "a wintry mix" whatever that means. Tomorrow comes the rain.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.