Wednesday, March 24, 2010

609. Bus Routes and other routes - a Trivia Quiz

As a junior high and senior high school student at what was then known as Durrett High School on Preston Highway, I was assigned to ride Bus #6933 to and from school. Bus #6933 route was the Advanced Program route for students who generally lived on the west side of Okolona and over into South Park and Fairdale. I caught the bus at the end of my street, Whippoorwill Road. Most of the busses which served southern Jefferson County parked at the Fairdale Compound which meant that when mine let me out, it continued west on South Park toward Fairdale.

Bus #6933 wasn't the only bus I could ride but it was the only one to which I was assigned. The other one I often rode was Bus #609, today's entry number. Bus #609 was also an AP student bus, delivering students from Durrett southward, but generally serving the east side of Okolona and over into Highview. But like #6933, at the end of its route, it too travelled along South Park Road between Okolona and Fairdale to be parked at the aforementioned Fairdale Compound.

Somewhere in this blog I am sure I have mentioned a young lady named Janice Platt. She was two years behind me in school and sometime in 9th grade I fell madly in love with her and remained so for much of my high school life. I lived west of Okolona, she lived east of Okolona. Three miles of South Park Road, which at Preston Highway becomes East Manslick Road, separated us. That, and the fact that I was assigned to #6933 and she was assigned to #609.

On one schoolday somewhere in 9th grade, I exitted my school bus, #6933, at the foot of my street only to see that behind us was her school bus, #609. I checked this for several days and eventually learned why, which, again was for the purposes of evening storage at the Fairdale Compound. Thus it was that I "managed" to miss #6933 one afternoon in Durrett's parking lot only to catch #609. After a few times of doing this the bus driver, Mr. Martin, caught on. He told me I was assigned to #6933 and that I had to ride #6933. Summarily, I was dismissed from #609.

But I really wanted to ride #609 as that was really the only time I could manage an attempt at wooing this young lady who had totally captured my attention. Thus, I made my case to Mrs. Wilson. Mrs. Wilson drove #6933. I explained to her - I am sure in graphic hormonal-raging fourteen-year-old detail - my dilemma. At some point after that Mr. Martin allowed me to ride along on #609 since he was going to "end up going down South Park Road anyway" right past the foot of my street.

It is this idea of two routes travelling along the same road - #6933 and #609 along South Park Road - which leads to today's little quiz. You are free to stop reading at this point, or to take the quiz leaving your comments below.

The quiz covers Federal Highway Routes in Jefferson County. I will offer questions - you can offer answers. All answers will relate to a "US" or "Interstate" highway in Jefferson County. There are no prizes but any winners will be announced. The last quiz I had resulted in ZERO responses. Let's do better. Here we go.

*****




1. What is the name of the road marked as US42 northeast (or outside) of the Watterson Expressway?


2. Where does Interstate 265 begin and end?


3. Two different Interstates are co-signed with two different State Highway routes. What are they and what are their co-signed state highway routes?


4. For whom was the Watterson Expressway named and why did she or he deserve it? (If you are under the age 30, here is an easier one: For whom was the Gene Snyder Freeway named and why did she or he deserve it?)


5. What three once-rural communities (and one still is) are on the "old roads or old routes" of a present day US highway?


6. What former three-digit US route once served Louisville, co-signed for most of its route with US60?


7. What was the original name of the Gene Snyder Freeway? (There are actually two answers, but only the more recent name is widely known. Either answer wins).


8. What is the "honorary" name of US31E?


9. Where is US31?


10. With regard to US highway routes, what is unique about the 100 block of S. 22nd Street?


BONUS: Name the only county in the United States with two sets of consecutively numbered Interstate routes.

EXTRA BONUS: What are the two consecutively numbered routes' numbers?

Thanks for playing.

1 comment:

Jeff n Clifton said...

1. I’ve never heard of the roadway outside of the Watterson ever being called by any proper noun. Do you mean to ask about Hwy 22 outside of the Watterson?
2. 265 starts at the intersection with I 65 and ends at I 71.
3. I’m gonna skip this one.
4. The Watterson was named for Henry Watterson to honor him as editor of the Louisville Times and then the Courier-Journal after the two papers merged.
5. I’m gonna skip on this one, too.
6. U.S. 421
7. Jefferson Freeway
8. Lincoln Highway
9. North & South of Kentucky; it is only in Kentucky that the highway is formally divded into “east” and “west” routes.
10. I’m not entirely sure but I think it has to do with the routing of US 150 – can I get partial credit for that?
I'm gonna pass on the bonus questions, too.

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.