Monday, January 2, 2012

715. Happy New Year - a day late

One of my seven faithful readers happens to be one of the biggest fans of The Beatles this side of Liverpool. Olivia Fuchs, who is otherwise an attorney, makes endless You-Tube posts, newsletters called the Bea-letter (or something), and other event-related comments about the Fab Four, especially as the Abbey Road on the River, conventiently abbreviated as AROTR in most of the posts, makes its way to Louisville late each Spring. Olivia, however, knows that while I share a great love for music in general, the Fab Four aren't among my favorites. That isn't to say I do not like their music. There are a few songs in particular I love - I Wanna Hold Your Hand and Twist And Shout come to mind immediately. Below is a quote from a different Beatles' song, one written by Paul McCartney with input from the late John Lennon. The song was written and recorded in March 1967 and released on June 1st of that year. The song is my story as it relates to the last few weeks. The quote below was the working title and it appeared on the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club album.


I get by with a little help from my friends. (1967)


Followers of my Facebook page may recall a status update of mine posted back around Thanksgiving. It expressed my concern, for myself and others of my ilk, who find the holidays - now thankfully past - difficult at best and extraoridnarily lonely at times. Yet, we manage to make it through the seven weeks or so from Thanksgiving to yesterday, New Year's Day. And, again for folks of my ilk, we could not do so without (more than) a little help from our friends. Late in the night, actually about 3:15 am on New Year's Day, one of those friends called me. It was a call I was hoping for, worried about getting and not getting, and most pleased to have received. The caller, Michael, reminded me of our friendship, the other friends I have, and the support they have all given me, some in large and known ways, others in the quiet corners of the season. Each year I do dread the holiday season. Thankfully, each year at this time I get by with a little help from my friends.

Thanks to all of you.

Happy New Year.

*****

Below are the full lyrics for the song. I'm going to work on the chorus in my own life for 2012.

What would you think if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.


What do I do when my love is away.
(Does it worry you to be alone)
How do I feel by the end of the day
(Are you sad because you're on your own)
No, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna to try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love.


Would you believe in a love at first sight?
Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time.
What do you see when you turn out the light?
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm I get high with a little help from my friends,
Oh, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody?
I just need someone to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love


Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
with a little help from my friends

2 comments:

Olivia Anne said...

January 2, 2012, 8:15 p.m. Ohio River 606

Dear Jeff,

First off, Happy New Year, cherished friend.

I regret that the Holidays kept me from your blog. It is always a delight. In fact, I find the breadth of your knowledge unsurpassed in my circle of friends. You are an exciting thinker to engage and witness. I find you extremely intelligent, and you know I am a recovering "smart snob."

So, now, I find you have a significant problem and have grown somewhat, how shall I say this, as I always do, bluntly, stupid! The calendar may report that you have significantly fewer years than I, yet you say you are old. I KNOW, doubtless, that I have decades before I am OLD. So, please adjust accordingly, NOW, and smart up.

Next, while watching numerous innings with our Boys of Summer you and I have discussed in depth how The Beatles and My Friends have been all that have gotten me through YEARS, and you are whining about Holidays; so, just focus on that the Holidays are at an end and you have a shiny brand spanking New Year.

There are campaigns to wage; Democrats to corral; Republicans to thwart; numbers to crunch. Buck Up Bucko.

And, please remember, as I now really know is true,
All You Need Is Love!

And, my treasured friend, I do truly Love you, Olivia Anne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbIjsUMFrY

But, we all can use A Little Help From Our Friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39MjhVrf_Y

Jeff Noble said...

OAMF - So when is Opening Day? That's a holiday, too, and not a bad one at all.

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.