Thursday, January 18, 2007

15. Thursday Notes.

Very Light posting today.

I may have mentioned I have moved offices in the last few weeks. I formerly had a window looking north from the 5th floor toward downtown Louisville, but not close enough to see the Left Bank of the Ohio river at Milepost 606. I now have a view toward the south from the tenth floor, where one can see two of the four sides of the City Hall clock, and the public park I've previously written about at the southeast corner of 6th of Jefferson. Did I mention before that in the 1980s, that park was sometimes called Gonzales Park? Does anyone know why? I do. On a clear day, my view extends to the hills along the Jefferson-Bullitt County line, hills with trails one can visit and hike in the Jefferson Memorial Forest between Coral Ridge, Fairdale, and Valley Station. If you like the outdoors and are into hiking, or fishing too, you should acquaint yourself with the Forest. The main entry is off Mitchell Hill Road in Fairdale.

After having moved offices, this weekend I will be moving my residence from about 11 blocks south of my old office to 14 blocks east of my new one. In good weather, I'll walk it, but otherwise will probably continue to ride the TARC, now using Route 19 or 21, as opposed to 2 or 4. I've added quite a bit of space and am looking forward to the move - well, actually looking forward to life after the move.

In politics, there have been no new filings in Secretary of State C. M. "Trey" Grayson's office today, at least up until a few minutes ago. Yesterday I mentioned the Jefferson County Judge/Executive being interested in a state spot. Today he tells me he is about 27% there, which means he is 73% somewhere else. An anonymous commenter seems to know where his 73% interest more properly lies (or is it lays?). Also yesterday, I failed to mention the name of Ed Hatchett, one of the more honorable men to have served in Frankfort, as a possible candidate for State Treasurer.

On another political note, I have accepted an invitation in March to serve as a judge in the Bullitt County Mayors' Annual Chili Cookoff. I've done this before with two others, a councilwoman from the city of Hillview, and my young friend Taylor Coots, a native of Elk Creek in Spencer County and most recently living in Fayette County. When the time comes, I will post a reminder so you can all attend - all five of you.

Finally, the fire in Brooks has burned itself out. All kinds of investigators have poured into the area, whose intersection with I-65 is a sort of microcity, much like Hurstbourne and I-64, but on a smaller basis. There are plenty of motels rooms to house them and no shortage of fast food deals to feed them.

Oh. One more thought. The weather service is promising - promising I say - at least an inch and up to three inches of the white stuff this weekend. Although, as stated above, I'll be moving, I am looking forward to it. I love snow, and we haven't had enough. We've barely had any at all. Why have winter and cold, if you can't have some snow to go with it?

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.