Sunday, June 10, 2007

119. Summertime, Idea Fest, and some college notes

Sorry for the lack of posting. It's summertime and the living is easy, or at least it is supposed to be. I've decided to take the summer off the best I can, at least from politics and other social activities. As I said, the best I can, which I know wont be very good. Last week I had lunches with two different friends, Dann Byck and Shawn Reilly, both of whom want me to get involved in things. As best I could I declined Shawn's invitation and only hesitantly took up Dann in a partial way. Dann's is presently the more intriguing - something called the Idea Festival which is coming to Louisville late this summer. I remember last fall when it was here but I was consumed with the Yarmuth campaign, and did not have time to look into it. Dann gave me an overview and I promised to work a booth during the summer to help promote it.

The website for you go to look at it is www.ideafestival.com. I recomment you visiting the site - it is interesting reading, naturally, for an idea fest.

Shawn's interest was more political and still of interest, but as I said, for the moment I declined. I'd like summer to be sort of summer-ish this year. I am getting old enough to appreciate a little unscheduled time. Later this summer, I am hoping to make a road trip to Virginia with a friend to her collegiate Alma Mater, which starting this fall will end a more-than-100-year tradition of single-sex studies when it begins to admit males. It is also dropping part of its name - the soon-to-be former Randolph-Macon Women's College will become Randolph College. The Randolph is for a Virginian who was a benefactor while Macon was a North Carolinian, also a benefactor. I guess the Randolphs are still around and are, obviously, closer to home. The college is in Lynchburg.

The last entry mentioned the University of Louisville's Baseball team and their playing in a SuperRegional. They are tied with Oklahoma State at one apiece. Yesterday's game, which OK State won, was far less lopsided than Friday's when Louisville won 9-0. Today's tiebreaker and championship gets underway at 4 pm.

That's all.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.