Tuesday, July 31, 2007

150. Dainty Results

But first - I wrote a lengthy essay on US 150, given this is entry #150, but I got way bogged down, carried away with too many words - and then it occurred to me I may have written on the subject before - but scrolling through I couldn't find any notes on Moline, Illinois, where US 150 ends and Mount Vernon, Kentucky where it starts. I know I have orally told the US 150 story and someday I may write about it. But for now, I'll just keep the draft for later revisions. Or maybe I really have covered this material before.

As for the Dainty Contest, Congressman John Yarmuth didn't win. His hit (made earlier in the day) of 77 feet was bested by a few others, including the eventual winner Kevin Triplett, a friend of mine for many years. Kevin, who was raised in the Cloverleaf neighborhood off Manslick Road, hit the Dainty 122 feet, short of Yarmuth's 145 foot hit last year, and even shorter of Gene Klein's all time record hit of 146 feet 6 inches, but still the winner. I spoke briefly with Mr. Klein who was not wearing his "record holding" shirt, much to my surprise.

The Mayor of Louisville-Jefferson County Metro took his three tries, but failed to put one stick-to-the-other. Former congressman Ron Mazzoli had a try as did old Bremer Ehrler, looking healthy as ever even at 93. Councilman Jim King, PVA Tony Lindauer, Circuit Clerk Dave Nicholson, and others all made a swing. None made a hit. Former alderman Steve Magre hit a respectable 23 feet as I recall. Fr. Roy Stiles then hit it 55 feet to much applause. Then one of the uniformed officers working the event hit the Dainty just over 100 feet. And as said above, Triplett knocked the dainty 122 feet. There were about 200 people there, including 12 to 15 nuns and others who lined the front row as they always have. Beer and bologna sandwiches were sold, as was cotton candy.

So the US 150 story will wait for another day.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.