Tuesday, September 25, 2007

191. Along US 50 - I haven't been there in a while

Although I haven't been there in many years, I followed this season's baseball games at Washington D.C.'s RFK Stadium, the last of which, for this season and ever, was played yesterday with the Philadelphia Phillies giving the homefield Washington Nationals a final victory of 5-3 before about 41,000 fans, the record for this year. And with that victory, baseball leaves the forty-six year old stadium in Washington's eastside neighborhood generically known as Capitol Hill.


The mostly residential area includes rowhouses, Victorians mansions similar to Old Louisville, the Folger Shakespeare Library, landscaped rectangular parks where the diagonal state-named streets cross the numbered and lettered streets on DCs streetgrid, to the north of the capitol Union Station, to the southeast both the Historic Congressional Cemetery (about which I have written in the past) and famously, the recently burned-down and being rebuilt Eastern Market, an open public market dating back to DC's origins along Pennsylvania Avenue at 8th Street SE; all of which are in some way east of the building housing the national seat of government from which the neighborhood takes its name. RFK itself sets amid the center of East Capitol Avenue at 22nd Street.


I haven't made it back to DC this year, as I promised myself I would do, but I still intend to. There are places I want to revisit and other places I've discovered on the internet that I've never been to at all. Another town I am hoping to revisit soon, in the same general area (if you are talking about the country as a whole), is Annapolis, Maryland, capital of that state and home to the United States Naval Academy. Washington D.C. and Annapolis are separated by about 33 miles along US 50.


Later today I am having lunch with Marty Meyer, of Congressman Yarmuth's office, who has recently returned from a visit there. I am hoping he will give me an overview of his visit. The two circles in the center of town, a few blocks apart, offer both a government center (the State House) and an ecclesiastical one (Saint Anne's Episcopal Church), both of which date to the 1600s, and both topics of interest to me. On the waters of the Severn River and at the narrowest point of America's largest estuary, Chesapeake Bay, Annapolis is one of the most enchanting places I know of.


But, I haven't been there lately either.


October - or maybe November, should be a time for travel.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.