Sunday, September 30, 2007

195. Football, Volleyball, and the AIDS Walk

This was to be the Season of Brian Brohm who, unlike the other phenom from U of L's last season, chose to remain for his senior year to chase the Heisman Trophy. He is still in the chase, but not due to any help from his team or his coach, Steve Kraigthorpe. On the other hand, just a few miles to the east along I-64, Andre Woodson and the University of Kentucky Wildcats are 5 and 0. Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember the last time they were 5 and 0 - it was the season after the Summer of Love I wrote about several entries back in 1984 when I spent an inordinate amount of time somewhat inebriated solving the problems of the world while sipping a Whiskey and Soda, eating a burger, and listening to Whiter Shade of Pale being played on the stereo of Charlie Brown's on Euclid Avenue. Life was much simpler then - I think.

Yesterday I was jolted back into the reality of being 47 after a brief encounter with some female athletes at the White Castle on Eastern Parkway at S. Preston Street. They were all wearing Syracuse shirts and were in town for a volleyball game against U of L. Since I know nothing about volleyball, I decided to congratulate their college on its football win against Louisville. Two looked at me as if to say, "What did you say, old man?" One did say thanks, while the another said to yet another, "I guess he's some old football fan." So much for my southern hospitality. Incidentally, Syracuse lost yesterday's game.

Switching gears, today marks the 15th Annual Louisville AIDS Walk. I've participated in this event several times over the years, and in the late 1990s worked it as a vouluteer, back when my friend Denise Bentley was the Executive Director. I spent my big 40th birthday in 2000 on Sunday afternoon in the Belvedere, with emcees Melissa Mershon and Dawn Gee having the crowd sing Happy Birthday to me as part of the festivities. The walk leaves the Belvedere and proceeds along Main to the Clark Bridge, whereupon it crosses over into Clarksville, Indiana, makes a circle, and returns to the Bluegrass State, The course is about 3 1/2 miles, a little longer than in years past. The walk starts at 3:00, with registration starting two hours earlier. If you happen to be in the Atomic Saucer Coffe Shop on E. Oak Street, where I happen to be right now, they will happily take a donation.


Bring On October.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.