Wednesday, January 2, 2008

252. Nine Degrees


Nine degrees - that was the temperature this morning as I waited for the long white government owned and supported sixty-six passenger limousine to bring me (and about 21 others) into downtown this morning. The temperature is supposed to rise into the low 20s and then dip back down into the teens tonight. I'm not complaining, just reporting.

I've always been a fan of winter, of snow - but not ice, and generally cool or even cold temperatures. When I was younger, I'd take vacations in the summer not to the sunny shores of Florida with everyone else, but up northeast, in western Massachusetts around Pittsfield, and other places, where the temperatures were crisp in the mornings and only pleasant in the afternoons. One has to get north of New York City to enjoy such weather. But, I have to admit as I stood this morning at the bus stop, the idea occurred to me that it must be a lot nicer in San Juan, Puerto Rico, a city I am longing to visit in 2008. And, it is. The current temperature there is 75 degrees. It is partly cloudy and some rain is expected this morning, and maybe this afternoon. Hmmm.

Here at home, it is back to work after a something of a week and half break. San Juan will have to wait. Oh, the picture above is San Juan's Christmas Tree downtown.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.