Sunday, January 13, 2008

260. Bush: Israel and Palestine

The Commander-In-Chief of the United States has taken to the airwaves, literally, as 2008 has started, making a several-day - several-stop trip in the Middle East with a plate full of mostly non-achievable goals as he heads toward the Fifth Act of what has mostly been a failed Play of an administration. Like Clinton, Bush pere, and Carter among others before him, the current Bush is seeking some legacy other than the one he currently has under his belt, one which many of us would just as soon move on from. And like those before him, finding Peace in the Middle East, especially peace between Israel and Palestine, is one of the avenues he is pursuing. Good for him.

I am 47 years old and since the summer I was 6, conflicts between Israel and Palestine have been a nightly feature of the national news. Lots of presidents have tried with little success to achieve a lasting legacy between these two peoples claiming the same territory as their homeland. I do not propose or suppose to know the answer here. I do think that attempting to find peace is a noble undertaking and while I disagree with the president on much of what he (hasn't) accomplished during his tenure, on this matter I wish him well.

There are those who are critical of him saying he is just looking for a good note to go out on - a new legacy. If so, then so be it. Many presidents before him, including the most famous fictional one, Josiah Bartlet, felt this was one area where a lasting legacy could be effected. And not only does Bush need a new legacy, but so do those who live in this troubled zone. While the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a staple of news for my whole life, I do not know or understand all there is separating these people. I have Jewish friends and I have Palestinian friends and my perspective is often framed by their respective thoughts. I will add that all of my Jewish friends are native Americans and all of my Palestinians friends are not. So the persepctives I read are from different ends of the spectrum, although my American-born Jewish friends are no where near as emotional on the issue as are their counterparts who were born in the disputed areas.

So on this day when Christians celebrate the Baptism of Jesus Christ in the nearby waters of the Jordan River, thus beginning a new chapter in the history of the world, I wish the president well in his endeavors to bring a new Peace to the peoples of Israel and Palestine, even though I have no idea what that Peace might be.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.