Tuesday, March 18, 2008

301. Obama's Speech


It occurred to me yesterday that if I send in my "Declaration of Candidacy" to be a Kentucky delegate to the Democratic National Convention, something I don't expect to do, in the blank where one is required to commit to one or the other of the two candidates, I will write the word "Uncommitted." A better word would be "Undecided." A better description would be "foolishly wishing there was some way out of this without some destruction to the Democratic Party."

I've listened to any number of people respond to Barack Obama's speech today of forty-five minutes of either capturing completely or explaining away his fate either to be or not to be the next President of the United States. I am amazed at the wide variety of responses - some happy, some mad, some who said he can't have it both ways with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, to others who claim he now owns the preacher, lock, stock, and barrel, and does get to have his pie and eat it too. My father, who cannot stand Obama (and I am being very generous in my language) remarked that the senator did the honorable thing by not entirely disowning the reverend. A friend is a friend is a friend, even when they cross over lines you wish they would not have crossed, as Reverend Wright has done not only for Obama, but also for many of his supporters and most of the non-Obama supporters. Bloggers are falling all over themselves from hefty criticism on the Right, to the leftist Rude Pundit's blog entry title of offering some sexual pleasure for the senator in thanksgiving for his words. Ironically, there is no gray area in this mixed race man. It is all either black or white, while he is both.

I've crossed over, a little later than most, from my previous thinking that Mrs. Clinton will be the nominee and in turn the next president. I'm not sure, though, that Obama will be, although I am pretty sure he will be. I still think there is an outside possibility that after the 38th ballot is taken, and neither have moved much, that on the 39th ballot, like an angel descending from the clouds, a series of ropes and pulleys will lower Albert Gore, Jr. from the lofty heights of Nobel Laureatism down onto the playing field, in his role as Savior of the Party. Stranger things have happened, although not at a nominating convention and not in a long time.

It's a long way to Pennsylvania.

And, that's not the end of it. Sooner or later, both campaigns will be here along the Left (and Right) Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606 selling their wares. The longer the race goes, the less I am convinced I need to make a purchase.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.