Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

It is snowing right now along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606, perhaps appropriate for one of the earliest Easter Sundays in decades. Snow is forecast for tonight as well and maybe into tomorrow. But this morning the sun was shining brightly while I attended services at the Episcopal Church of the Advent on Baxter Avenue at the top of Broadway. The sermon was all about Water and Light, based on the traditions assoicated with the Easter candle and the waters of Baptism. Jesus calls Himself the Bright and Morning Star in the Book of Revelation, the closing book of the Holy Bible. After the service, coffee and doughnuts were served while the youngsters spent twenty minutes or so seeking out Easter Eggs in the sidelawn of the church, a task made fairly easy since none of the grass and weeds have grown high enough yet this season to hide anything. After church I went over to my father's house, where a dinner was ready, but I wasn't hungry. My mother was there and promised to take all the leftovers to her house, so as to prompt a visit from me there, which I will do tomorrow. Also at my dad's was my oldest nephew Jacob and his latest girlfriend whose name I did not catch.

My friend Keith attended Easter services at Bates Memorial Baptist Church on Lampton Street where he saw his younger brother, who did not recognize him at first, as well as his mother, who was singing in the choir. Keith usually makes one visit a year to the church of his choice, this visit at this church being it. Keith's cousin Migael, a regular churchgoer, attended with our mutual friend Ken, attending to my knowledge his first church service in over fifteen years, at the Central Presbyterian Church on S. Fourth Street, a church neither one of them belong to.

One reason I was not all that hungry at my father's was my inclusion last night in a dinner at Louisville's newest four-star restaurant, Rivue, located on the 25th floor of The Galt House Hotel on N. Fourth Street. Beginning my evening with a glass of Pinot Noir, which I did not finish during the course of the three hour gustatory adventure, I had as an appetizer a triangular shaped (and not very deep) bowl of delicious Oyster Stew. For the entree, I had a Chicken Penne dish, with artichokes, which up until last night I do not think I've ever partaken of before. The meal was followed by some excellent coffee and chocolate delights. There was a young pianist playing a Baby Grand as we entered. Before the night was over, Migael, who can play most anything but excels in classical and jazz, played for nearly a half-hour. I followed him with a three-song set, the last of which was a jazzed version of my High School Alma Mater. I wish I could play as good as Migael, but just being able to say "I played Rivue" will suffice for now.

So, that's the catch-up for this Easter Sunday. Below are the lyrics one will typically hear at any Easter Sunday service, whether Catholic, Protestant, or otherwise. It is the Signature song for this Signature day.

*****

Jesus Christ is risen today,
Alleluia!
our triumphant holy day,
Alleluia!
who did once upon the cross,
Alleluia!
suffer to redeem our loss.
Alleluia!

Hymns of praise then let us sing,
Alleluia!
unto Christ, our heavenly King,
Alleluia!
who endured the cross and grave,
Alleluia!
sinners to redeem and save.
Alleluia!

But the pains which he endured,
Alleluia!
our salvation have procured,
Alleluia!
now above the sky he's King,
Alleluia!
where the angels ever sing.
Alleluia!


Words: Compleat Psalmodist, 1749

Easter Hymn (Lyra Davidica, 1708;
arranged by William Henry Monk, 1823-1889)

Happy Easter.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.