Friday, April 25, 2008

322 - Friday Update

Early in the life in the blog, I would occasionally comment on the variety of locations from which people visited. The last time I made such a report appears to have been about a year ago. Since that time, I have documented visits from all 50 states and about 40 foreign nations. I know that some of the locations aren’t accurate. For instance, the town of Columbus, Indiana has recently begun appearing in the list, and I know exactly who it is when that city appears, but I also know they are reading on a computer here in Jefferson County. I do not know why they show up from Columbus, a cool little city about an hour due north of Louisville known for its architecture among other things. On one of my visits there, I attended a concert at the Saint Christopher Catholic Church where a Jewish festival of some sort was held, which included reading Hebrew from a rolled-up scroll. I have to admit I did not fully understand what was going on, but I did enjoy it.

Looking over the last one hundred visits to the blog, which only takes us back to the middle of the day on the 23rd, there are some interesting places. The most recent visit is listed as coming from 6,794 miles away in Seoul, Korea, followed immediately by visits from Poland and Germany, specifically Gotha Thuringen Germany.

Most of the visits are honestly from the allegedly 16th largest really big town in America, a place called Louisville, Kentucky, that 16th largest line coming from the Mayor of Louisville – Jefferson County Metro, who governs the 386 or so square miles along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606. Another Kentucky city is my second most listed, Lexington. Some cities appearing on a regular basis are Cox’s Creek and Frankfort in Kentucky, constituting a few of my five faithful readers; as well Washington, DC, where a few more people are specifically monitoring words I write about a particular congressman. A few visits from the Nation’s Capital may be people monitoring what I say about the Senior Senator from our Commonwealth, as they have come from the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee. Another city recently making the list more than a few times is Mountain View, California, where the link has on each occasion has been to www.google.com. I suppose that means someone at Google is looking in on the Left Bank here in Louisville, but I really don’t know that. Nearly all of the pictures that I have posted thus far have been taken from the Google Images site.

.I get lots and lots of visits from addresses ending in .edu, indicating a reader from an institution of higher learning is indeed involved in some higher learning reading the blog - maybe, maybe not. Among the last 100 visits are hits from the University of Louisville (which is a regular), the University of Kentucky, Georgetown in DC, Rutgers, Rensselaer in Indiana, Ohio Northern, and my alma mater, Spalding University. When I see an address I don’t recognize, I will more often than not go visit their webpage, which was the case with Ohio Northern. I’ve visited lots of college campuses (campi?) in this manner. Ohio Northern University is affiliated with the United Methodist Church and located in Ada, Ohio.

Locales from the last 100 visits have included, in addition to those already mentioned, the states of California, Oklahoma, New York, Virginia, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Kansas, and Illinois. The foreign countries include single visits from the UK, Canada, Tongji Chongqing China – the most distant at 7,598 miles, and finally someone in Vedelago Veneto Italy, who has visited on more than one occasion.

I know that some governments have famously blocked access to blogs, for whatever reason. The Louisville Metro Government address appears now and then although I know that certain readers are blocked from viewing the blog while others are not – something called either selective access or conversely selective enforcement.

So this entry can be marked as a report and thank you for your selective habit of reading the blog.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.