Friday, April 18, 2008

Quake!

The truth is I am still a little shook up. At 5:39am I found myself on the floor as opposed to in the bed. Then my phone rang and my neighbor confirmed what I already suspected - we had had an earthquake. Then a friend called and asked what had happened. Then, honestly, I went back to sleep for a few minutes.

It took the local media not very long to report the same - a 5.4 magnitude centered in New Salem, Illinois, which is about 150 miles due west of Louisville. I've been there once - just drove through.

Here is the link to the United States government's report of the quake:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2008/us2008qza6

1 comment:

Bruce Maples said...

Get this -- I had gone to the office VERY early (like, 5 AM) to try to catch up on some work. So, I was sitting on the NINETEENTH FLOOR of Waterfront Plaza East when the quake hit, and feeling the FLOOR MOVING UP AND DOWN was -- disconcerting, to say the least.

I thought about running out of the building, but finally decided "Oh, what the hell -- if it falls, it will fall faster than I can go down the stairs. Drink some more coffee."

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.