Friday, July 11, 2008

355. Seven/Eleven, briefly

I took the day off. Stopped in Walgreen's. Mrs. Atkins was behind the counter working. I haven't seen her since the Walgreen's on 4th downtown closed in 2005. She is still working and still doing well. Her husband Warren is not, and is in a nursing home. I've known them for over 20 years. While in line, my old neighbor Roger Bradford came in. Just the other night I remarked to another friend I hadn't seen Roger in months - but then I was reminded I did see him Primary Election Night. Still, I always enjoy meeting up with him, whether by chance or plan. While still in the store, Hazel Hartley showed up. Hazel and her husband Darryl have been great friends for fifteen years. Her husband is visiting his sister in Tulsa and she reported that gave her some free space to clean up the house. I've never been in their house that is wasn't spotless. So, it has been a good morning to have played hookie.

Tonight's plans are somber. A high school co-op student who worked in the Jefferson County Attorney's Office earlier this year and last summer was killed in an automobile accident in Frankfort, Indiana on Monday. We had become good friends during his work in the office. I will be visiting his wake at Kingdom Land Baptist Church, which is located at the corner of 7th and 11th streets in the Park Hill neighborhood. Visitation at 7th and 11th on 7/11. Life is odd at times. And sad, very sad.

Rest in Peace, Tyrone. Born 12/31/1989, Died 7/7/2008

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.