Saturday, July 26, 2008

362. Usually I try to abide by the rule of if you have nothing to say then don't. But I wanted to write something.

Temperature 90 degrees. Same weather expected all week.

First, I'm typing without the aid of my glasses, so this will be brief and may contain typos, especially if the letters in the typo are close together on the keyboard. Since typo is a back-formation from typewriter, which is not what most of us use to type on anymore, will typo get morphed into a keypo, a possible back-formation from keyboard?

In local political news, the Metro Democratic Club will be featuring Mollie Binghams' new film Meeting Resistance at its next meeting on the second Wednesday of August. The screening will be free, held in the late afternoon, at the Highlands Post American Legion Hall on Bardstown Road opposite Assumption High School. Stay tuned for more information on this event.

Next, last night a large group of volunteers, interns, and others from the Lunsford for Senate campaign and the Yarmuth for Congress campaign gathered for some sasparillas [Jerry Kleier, that's for you, RIP], among other things, on Baxter Avenue. Thankfully Wanda Mitchell Smith was also there so I wasn't the oldest person in attendance, which happens more and more these days. She pointed that out to me so I am comfortable in saying that to you. Lisa Tanner, I think, was the next oldest who was younger than me and we show up at a lot of places together which keeps me at least a decade younger. (Of course, I always carry that college ID picture of me taken from the summer of 1980 when I had a more-than-full head of dark, long, black curly hair, weighed about 135 pounds if I had boots on, and was still kinda good looking - maybe. I know some of you have seen it). Besides Wanda, her husband, me, and Lisa, everyone else was - well they all were damned young, or so it seemed - actually all of them in their 20s somewhere. A few of them called me Uncle Jeff and at least one donned upon me the title of Professor. Among those in attendance was Nathan Dickerson, who has been a part of Lunsford's campaign from early on, who is leaving to go manage Kathy Stein's race for the 13th Senate District seat being vacated by Ernesto Scorsone in Fayette County. Everyone, including Nathan, seemed to be having a good time. There is a lot of momentum here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606 in each of these campaigns. Yarmuth is working harder than ever in his race and incumbency helps a lot, which should bode well for both Lunsford and Obama, at least in Jefferson County.

Lastly, by this time next week I will have finally made a road trip. Woohoo. Preparations are being made for the annual trek to the West to the tiny town of Fancy Farm, Kentucky, which has an estimated population of 1800 or so, and is home to Saint Jerome Catholic Church, where since 1880 a Summer Picnic has been held, and since the 1950s, the picnic has been held on the first Saturday of August. We'll be in Gilbertsville the night before for supper and then some partying in the Executive Cabins. Saturday morning is a Country Ham breakfast in Mayfield, with the picnic itself starting around lunch time. Since I covered the picnic last year in my postings, and they aren't much different from one year to the next, feel free to channel through the archives for last year's report.

Tomorrow starts a new week. Make it a good one.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.