Tuesday, August 12, 2008

370. Where there's Smoke, there's Fire

So, let me set the picture for you. I was talking on my cell phone to Lisa Tanner, the Yarmuth Campaign's Field Director, about a variety of issues including some plans later this week in the South End of Jefferson County, a key area in this fall's repeat of 2006's success. I get in my car and pull out of my complex, which is about three blocks south of the John Yarmuth for Congress headquarters, which is at Campbell and Market - I live at Campbell and Madison. I stopped and looked up and reported to Lisa, "I think our headquarters is on fire." Gasp!

All I could see was heavy black smoke rolling out onto Campbell Street at or near the Yarmuth building, an ancient brick two and a half story edifice which formerly housed the Hausman Motor Company as a Jeep dealership, and later the Obama for President campaign earlier this Spring. I could have raced through the three stop lights separating me from a closer look, but fortunately they coursed through to green and I preceded posthaste. As I approached, I could see, thankfully, it wasn't Yarmuth, but instead the outdoor warehouse immediately behind us, owned by the Premium Seed Company and storing what appears to be a large amount of building material. I circled around the corner and into the Yarmuth parking lot where I was facing the fire head on. By this time I had hung up on Lisa and was talking to the Louisville Fire and Rescue dispatch officer, telling her in detail exactly what I was seeing. She assured me trucks were on the way and in no time - literally seconds - their sirens could be heard coming from all directions.

The office manager and a campaign volunteer came outside into the parking lot with me to see what was going on given that the intersection outside the front door was fully populated by big red fire engines and a host of firefighters. In short order, their hoses were connected to hydrants and water was sprayed on the fire, which at its greatest was seemed to be an area of about sixty foot square. Soon the black smoke turned to white - and being Catholic I thought about a new Pope being elected - and the fire was put down. Bravo, Louisville Fire and Rescue.

This all happened in the last thirty minutes. The fire is apparently out although the street is still completely blocked by fire equipment and personnel. From having walked back and forth several times between my home and the Yarmuth headquarters, I know there is a large store of lumber kept in there and I imagine there is concern some embers remains here and there which may reignite the fire.

Hopefully, this particular fire will be the end of my excitement for the day.

Tomorrow, by the way, is fully scheduled.

For me, there is a curious meeting to be had in Frankfort at the seat of our Commonwealth's government, one which I did not exactly seek out but welcome whatever may come of it.

Later in the day, the Metro Democratic Club is having its screening of Mollie Bingham's Meeting Resistance. You are invited. The meeting will be held in the large hall of the Highland Post on Bardstown Road about 3 blocks north of the Watterson. The meeting will start at 6:00 pm. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.