Saturday, October 3, 2009

On The Occasion of an October Harvest Moon


Shine On, Shine On Harvest Moon, for me and my gal.

Those are the words of an old song I learned to play on the electric organ, a Magnus 300, when I was about five years old. You may have had one - a little brown box with maybe 25 black and white keys. Most of us learned to play by numbers. C=1, D=2, and so on. I still remember the last bars of the Stars and Stripes Forever as 1 - 2 - 6 - 5- 4, and will usually say those numbers out loud as I did earlier this year listening to the closing song performed by the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra one summer night in Madison, Indiana.

Last night and tonight holds for us the rare occurrence of an October Harvest Moon. They typically fall in September closer to the Autumnal Equinox. Nonetheless, the sky last night and tonight is full of the silvery beams which bring loves' dreams - oh wait, that is a different song.

I am a big fan of October. Football weather, cool days, cooler nights, the turning of the leaves, the anticipation of Hallowe'en, and every thing else. It is my favorite month. Enjoy. Old Man Winter isn't far off.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.