Tuesday, February 16, 2010

597. Snow-colored glasses

Will it ever stop? When is Spring? Too much snow. Too much cold.

Snowpocalypse - I like that one. First read it in a Facebook comment by Aneillo Alioto, formerly of Louisville, now residing in the Federal city.

I'll admit to not liking the cold. The walls of my old brick house - three bricks deep for the most part - have gotten cold and won't warm up til May or June. The temperature in two of the rooms hovers at 50 to 54. The living room and kitchen, on the other hand, stay in the 70s or even 80, given their natural-gas fired sources of heat. Still, it keeps me cold at night, which, if nothing else, does help me to sleep better.

But the snow - well, I still like it. We've had seven inches, then a few more, then some dusting, then four more, and now some more dusting, with a few more inches on the way. And it isn't ice like we had last year, with branches and electric lines falling with regularity. It's just snow. We often speak of the big snows when we were kids. Francois Villon, the fifteenth century French poet and vagabond wrote "Where are the snows of yester year?" Well, my friends, like David Rogers' 1973 play, they are "Here and Now." Enjoy the snow. Eat, Drink, and Be Merry. For tomorrow starts Lent.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.