Tuesday, June 22, 2010

628. Solstice summary

1. We did what the governor wanted us to do Saturday and named Dan Logsdon as the Kentucky Democratic Party chair. Now comes the reports of his giving money to Republicans, including the one which ran against the governor. In this year's Democratic Primary for mayor, I supported and worked for a guy who gave money to Anne Northup a decade ago. His opponents tried to use it as a campaign theme, but, given he won with 45% of a eight-way race, I guess that didn't matter to the voters. But Mr. Logsdon is now chair of the Party. We should have vetted better. One of our group suggested doing so but we didn't follow up. Stay tuned to see what happens. Sometimes Jacob Payne's comments on the KDP are quite on target. This may be one of those time.

2. My friend Ken Herndon, who is celebrating a birthday today - for the record, he is many, many years older than me - is trying to be seated as the 6th District Councilmember here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606. There are nineteen others seeking to do the same thing. I know about six of them including all of those who seem to be the frontrunners. The County Attorney's office is vetting them to make sure they actually live and vote in the 6th District and have for the requisite twelve months as of the vacancy as well as meeting the age requirement, which is 21. I'm pretty sure all the candidates are 21 or older. I'm not as sure they all meet the residency requirements, especially those related to how long they've lived in the 6th District. Not only is it hot outside of City Hall, this race is making for some interesting heat inside.

3. My garden, about which I've not written this year, is really doing good. There are five tomato plants (two different varieties including little cherry tomatoes which are best eaten off the vine), three bell pepper plants, two banana pepper plants (one of which is "hot"), three cucumbers hills, and pumpkin vines everywhere. The pumpkins are "volunteers," left over from the my jack-o-lantern from last Hallowe'en. I've got to keep an eye on the pumpkins or they'll take over the entire space.

4. This weekend in Holy Family's Picnic. Although I've left the membership of that church (where I belonged for thirty years), I'm still volunteering as the announcer on Friday night, something I've done for many, many years. The picnic is Friday and Saturday, on Poplar Level Road, three blocks north of the Watterson Expressway.

Yesterday was the longest day of the year. What did you do to celebrate? Happy Solstice.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.