Saturday, March 3, 2007

54. Some more numbers

This should be a short entry.

First, today would have been my Uncle Don Noble's 71st birthday. He died on April 29, 2005 and is buried at Calvary Cemetery in Louisville. My brother Kevin's middle name was taken from Don's middle name, Dean. Don was my father's older brother. Dad has a younger brother, who the family calls Chris but whose real name is Vince, or Vincent.

Second, it is snowing up a storm, though not likely to get very deep, if it sticks at all. I'll take it. "They say that any snow is good snow, so I took what I could get." Isn't that how that song goes?

I went riding this morning out to Taylorsville Lake to inspect the dam. There is a lot of dam inspecting going on here in the Commonwealth of late, though most of it is down in the south. At Taylorsville today, I went down below the dam, then over it, and finally to the visitor's center next to it. But at 7:00 am, no one else was there but me. But I was treated to the sun rising up over the southeast, a large orb of orange light, exaggerated by the reflection off the lake itself. 'Twas a beautiful sight. Sometimes, but not today, when I am in Taylorsville, I visit the grave of a friend, Gary Housley, who is buried in the Valley Cemetery, which is up on top of a hill as opposed to in a valley, on the west side of town on KY 44.

I noticed the state road markers along Taylorsville Road/Railroad Street between the Spencer County Hiigh School and Main Street carry both the KY 44 and the KY 55 signage. I wonder if there are other consecutive digit-repeating combinations anywhere else in the Commonwealth? I can not think of any. I know there are places where consecutive numbers run together, or at least close, if not along the same highway. In northern Kentucky KY 8, 9, and 10 converge, as do KY 16 and 17. KY 8, 9, and 10 come together again outside of Maysville, near the village of Washington, of which we spoke last week. In far southern Kentucky, you can travel KY 79 and 80 together around the northside of Russellville on the new By-Pass, but both numbers are outranked by the federal designation of US 68. A little east of there you can turn left off of KY 99 onto KY 100 in the village of Holland or from KY 100 to 101 in Scottsville. I've been there.

Okay, enough. I'm going out to play in the snow - or what's left of it. Spring springs in about 19 days.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.