Sunday, March 4, 2007

56. March Forth!

From time to time, all of us get into a rut, or at least into a routine, going to work each day, coming home, doing the same things each evening, and even our weekends tend to be rather mundane if we aren't paying attention. (Incidentally, rut and routine are etymological cousins, both ultimately from the Middle English word for route). James Whitcomb Riley called life "this lower mundane institute" in his poem My Philosophy. My Uncle Bob Lewis gave me a copy of the book The Complete Poetical Works of James Whitcomb Riley for my eighth birthday, which I still have in my library. He indicated a few poems therein for me to memorize and try to understand. Little Orhpan Annie and When the Frost is On the Punkin' and the Fodder's in the Shock were among those, along with My Philosophy, for which Uncle Bob indicated there would be a test later.

I think it is important for everyone to strive to overcome the "lower" part of Riley's so-called mundane institute. That is done by activity outside of the normal ebb and flow of a day's, or a week's, or a life's activity; that is, doing something in addition to what one is already doing. I believe this charge also includes finding not only hobbies but friends with which to share those hobbies. I worry about those who seemingly are plodding through this mundane institute without the support of close friends or even acquaintenances, people with whom you can share attendance at events, speak with about your thoughts, or sharing the ups and downs of everyday life. For many, this is probably a spouse; for others a partner.

A few nights ago, my friend Migael called me for a ride, as his car had broke down. He made the comment somewhere in the conversation that "a friend is someone you can call when your car is broke down, and their first response isn't 'How far away are you?' but rather 'Are you okay?' He was ok and I retrieved him from his immediate dilemma and helped to make arrangements for the car to be towed, thus removing him from his then-present predicament.

But then there are also times when these predicaments require not the help of a friend, but the internal will to make a change. These are the more difficult, and sometimes life-changing episodes we all encounter in the personal journeys we call our lives. For some it is to start a new job, or the bigger job, to start a new family. Or it might be a return to school, to finish a degree, whether a GED, a BA, or something higher. These are all decisions which are called forth from places within, rather than without. Several years ago, when I was contemplating going back to school, a friend of mine, former Jefferson County Sheriff Jim Greene, made it real simple. He asked 'How long will it take you to finish?' accompanied with the question 'How old will you be when you do finish?' He followed those questions with 'If you don't go back and do this, how old will you be anyway in the same period, having accomplished nothing?' He made the decision to go back to school rather easy, as if not going back would simply be foolish. He was right, and I did. I will add that Sheriff Greene went to college and law school at night over several years while working a full time job at General Electric. That was inspiration in itself.

Another friend whom I have mentioned a few times herein has recently began a real estate practice in addition to his "normal" forty-hour a week job. In a few short months, he has had some real successes. I tried real estate when I was in my twenties, but did not enjoy it. My father made his career in real estate, property management, and being a landlord, and I did it mostly because he wanted me to. But, I sold very little and, after keeping my license in escrow for several years, eventually let it lapse in the late 1990s. There are two things I do want to do before I get too old. One is try law school again (the first attempt didn't work); the other is to have about five acres somewhere and be some sort of gentleman farmer. I'm not sure which one is more attainable and I hope to do both. There are several books about the latter, one called Five Acres and Independence is a popular read. Returning to law school requires scoring high enough on the LSAT and finding a school that will have you. I would need to go at night, and closeby, that means either the Brandeis School of Law at U of L or the Chase Law School at Northern Kentucky. U of L has talked about dropping their night school program, but I don't think there has been a final decision.

The point is, now and then, one must hear and act upon a call to action. I've taken my time working my way into the new year, 2007, as the old one, 2006, provided me with just such a call to action; quite a diversion in the form of working for the successful John Yarmuth campaign for Congress. People usually do things like that when they are younger. I was 45. I don't know what it is I want to undertake, only that I am leaning toward doing so. I might need a few more months to convert the "leaning toward" into "definitely deciding." I have already this year started a new blog, transferred to a new job, and moved to a new residence. Today's date impels us to even more action, proclaiming now is the time to march forth .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I "accidently" discovered your blog after seeing your response on yet another blog. I must say I find your views insightful and refreshing. This one struck home for me as I am one semester from graduating with my looong awaited B.S. (I wish it had better initials)at 41 years of age.

I showed up late to the open house at Yarmuth headquarters, it would have been nice to see you.

Matt Jablow

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the BS, Matt. Maybe I should say Congrats on the degree. How's the comedy business?

I remember well not just being one semester away, but one class away - Finite Math 101 - something like that. Everyone else in the class was 17 or 18, and eager to be there. I dreaded even showing up. My degree required exactly 3 hours of math and my diploma has exactly three hours of math completed - the last three hours I earned!

I didn't make the open house but I was told it was a huge success.

Good to hear from you - I hope read more of the blog.

JN

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

You're blog is definitely on my list!

I've retired officially from comedy about 4 years ago, right now my focus is on completing my degree and starting the next chapter of my life. I overwelmingly agree regarding Math I have had to endure Algebra 1 & 2 and am dreading Statistics which awaits me this last semester.

Are you wokring on a campaign right now? I went back and read some of the older entries but wasn't sure.

Matt

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.