Monday, January 4, 2010

Act IV

Today marks the Third Anniversary of the blog, meaning we are entering the fourth year of postings, page visits, and comments. Thus, Act IV. The blog was started on this date in 2007. This is the 582nd posting. According to the "Labels" section, 264 of these posts - or 45.36% - have related to politics or politicians, clearly the topic which holds much of my interest. But, as you know there are other interests - history, my home town of Louisville (the 42nd largest city in the Republic), travel, the weather, and people in general. As a writer, I enjoy covering all of these topics, often together. And the therapy is great.

It should prove to be an interesting year. In my own personal life, I'm finally - after a near-six year quest and struggle - moving my "letter" from one religious denomination to another, something I last did in 1979 when I was 18. I also have some plans to straighten out my home life and my home itself which is in dire need of a lot of work. Once the Primary is over, I plan a trip to Puerto Rico. I've actually already made some of the arrangements for that. Later in the summer, I hope to get back to Washington DC. At some point in 2010, I would like to see the Pacific Ocean, maybe from a dock in San Diego. And this is the year in which, God willing, I will celebrate my 50th birthday. I need to start doing things before I get older. That means 2010.

As stated, all this is after the Primary. Louisvillians tend to build their Spring/Summer plans around dates either before or after the Derby. Political hacks like me schedule things either after the Primary, before Fancy Farm, or after the November elections. Once you get into the habit, it is hard to get out of it. Speaking of Fancy Farm, I intend to return this year. The United States Senate races feature basically boring candidates on both sides of the aisle. We'll see how they handle Fancy Farm. The exceptions to the boring status are Rand Paul for the Republicans and Darlene Price for the Democrats. I've indicated in the past my support of Jack Conway, the current Attorney General. I hope he gives me some good reason for me to keep that support current - something he hasn't done of late. In any event, Fancy Farm will be a good time not because of this year's Senate race but because next year's elections are for the Statewide offices. Eyes and ears will be focussed on who might "primary" the governor, and of much greater interest, for what office will the very non-political, Republican, term-limited, Ag Commissioner Richie Farmer file in 2011? He could easily move into Trey Grayson's Secretary of State spot as Trey, too, is term-limited. But there is a widespread undercurrent that Richie - and let's face it, any politician who is immediately known simply by their first name is already in a good spot - will run for the top job - Chief Magistrate of the Commonwealth. If so, his road to the Executive Mansion will likely start in Graves County the first Saturday in August. Again because of term limits, Democrats will have an opportunity to win back the Ag Comm seat as well as the Secretary of State position. And the Auditor's Office will be empty as well for the same reasons - term limits. A note here - Crit Luallen, the current Auditor, who I will admit I took some time warming up to, has been an exceptional State Auditor of Public Accounts. She should be looking higher. We'll see who has the biggest RVs and hospitality rooms down at Kentucky Dam Village on the Friday night before Fancy Farm on Saturday.

There is also a mayor's race here along the Left Bank of the Ohio River near Milepost 606. I'm supporting and working for Greg Fischer. His Democratic opponents so far are Jim King and David Tandy, both members of the Metro Council, and Tyler Allen, a Louisville area businessman who has spearheaded the efforts against construction of a second downtown Interstate bridge, efforts I wholeheartedly support. My old friend Burrell Farmsley has also filed and he will be working his campaign by talking to voters in parts of town usually not reached by conventional methods. I know how Burrell works as we worked side-by-side on a special project during the '06 campaign for John Yarmuth. It is rumored a woman may enter the race as early as tomorrow. She has been on my radar screen for some time and I know she has spoken with people in recent days concerning a staffing-up should she decide to enter the race. I believe there is ample political capacity still out there for such a candidacy - perhaps even for two additional candidacies. All will have until the end of the month to file.

One seat being quietly vacated is that of the Jefferson County Judge/Executive, a post which since Merger (2003) has been sans potfolio. Ken Herndon is the two-term holder of that position, but he has said he will not seek reelection. Ken has quietly held the position as a courtesy to His Honor the Mayor of Louisville-Jefferson County Metro as well as to the Louisville-Jefferson County Democratic Party. He has stirred no waves in his administration of the office, a place where mischief could have easily been manufactured. The mayor has failed to ackowledge that service on the part of Mr. Herndon. Herndon has indicated he is abandoning the post in preparation for a second run for the Metro Council in 2012.

Aside from politics, somewhere in the next year will be roadtrips along Kentucky's backroads. I will make a point of getting to Lawrence and Elliott counties - that is for certain. I'll try to make a few Civil War reenactments as well. There are several all around the state, from Sacremento to Richmond to Munfordville to the big one - Perryville. And I will continue my genealogical research which usually yields answers to questions I've never raised and fails to respond to those I have. But, that makes it worthwhile.

So stick around. Keep visiting. 2010 will surely be better than 2009. Let's face it - for a lot of people 2009 was a disaster.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Curtis Morrison said...

As an addendum to your praise of Judge Executive Ken Herndon for the grace with which he held his position,
I'm forming an exploratory committee to investigate that race with the specific objective of stirring lots of mischief. :)

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.