Sunday, May 27, 2012

736. Prayers of the People

I've been reading prayers at church for many years.  I did so at my former church, Holy Family, and began doing so at my current church even before I was technically a member.  However, at Holy Family I was reading prayers prepared by others.  On a few occasions, I balked at what I was asked to read and took the liberty of emending the prayers from the lectern.  That is not the case at Advent, where I am reading prayers I have written.

Because this blog tends to be a repository of some of my writing I thought it would be appropriate to re-post the prayers over here.

In the Episcopal Church, the Prayers of the People are read each Sunday.  The Book of Common Prayer offers several "forms" to follow but also allows for some diversion away from these forms.  At Advent, there is a rotation of several prayer writers and readers.  We all follow the forms to a point but add our own writing talents and styles to the petitions.

It is my intention to post here on the blog all of the Prayers I have written over time.  They will be numbered with the letter P followed by a number.  I do not know how many I've written.  I'm still gathering them up.  Following this entry will be the first set, written for the Seventh Sunday after Pentecost, 2009.  As a note, tomorrow, or technically today since it is after midnight, is the Day of Pentecost for 2012.


No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.