Thursday, June 12, 2014

SB-4. Ballard County

Picking up where we left off...

Day 4: If you are heading to BALLARD COUNTY (Wickliffe, named for Captain Bland Ballard)... What comes to mind, who do you need to call & where would you grab a bite to eat? #KY120Game

(Also - if you don't want to be tagged, just message me. I can leave you off. No hard feelings).
 — with Travis M. Scott and 12 others.
LikeLike ·  · 
  • 3 people like this.
  • Holly Lynn Harris Call up the Rollins family. Kenny Rollins, a member of the Fab 5 UK bball team, was from Ballard Co. I know this because my dad has at least 10 photos of the Fab 5 and I had to stare at one everyday one summer when I trimmed plaster models in his office...while listening to my dad tell me all their fun facts. Not sure what this little game is...but did I win?
  • Sherman A. Brown Yes - You won.
  • Sherman A. Brown Jeff Noble - you should of been tagged.
  • Les Fugate Love the Hillybilly cafe. Also some good BBQ joints down that way. I miss our yearly county clerk visits because of stops like Ballard County. Lynn Lane is a professional and is beyond hilarious. Good memories!
  • Travis M. Scott Ballard is one of my blind spots. I've only passed through once and then I didn't stop.
  • Jeff Noble Ballard is one of those places I may drive around on the way to or from Fancy Farm but I rarely stop. I did trick my mom and nephew once on a trip, telling them we were going to cover five states in five miles - which we did crossing from Kentucky to Illinois to Missouri along US60-62, turning around at the first gas station in Missouri, and returning back through Illinois into Kentucky along the same route. The confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio is a sight to behold.
  • Travis M. Scott Jeff Noble, I have only been there twice: once when I was at DLG to meet with the mayor of Wickliffe and once about a month ago while driving back from Missouri. Crossing both rivers is something everyone should do.
  • Marc Wilson Not one of my stops. Next time.
  • Matt Osborne Duck hunting is what you do in Ballard County. It's been a really long time, and they won't remember me, but I'd give the Denton family a buzz.
  • Katie Mueller Man. I got nothing on Ballard. Oof.
  • Julia Bright Crigler Ask Steven Rudy, I think I got lost advancing that one. Advance...not my strength.
  • Kathy Jo Stubblefield The old green gym - haven't been to their new building, but when we played the Ballard Memorial Bombers, whose colors were green and white, you played in a green gymnasium. I can't say that I remember eating in Ballard County; I guess we always stopped in Paducah.
  • Chuck Geveden How did I miss this yesterday! My home county! Kenny Rollins from the fabulous five is actually one of my cousins. I grew up just down the road from his parents. They went to the church I grew up in and I remember them well. Hillbilly Café is good but we cannot forget the Bluegrass Restaurant out in LaCenter. I still make regular trips to Ballard, especially in the winter time, to duck and goose. Love Ballard County.

No comments:

The Archives at Milepost 606

Personal

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Never married, liberal Democrat, born in 1960, opinionated but generally pleasant, member of the Episcopal Church. Graduate of Prestonia Elementary, Durrett High, and Spalding University; the first two now-closed Jefferson County Public Schools, the latter a very small liberal arts college in downtown Louisville affiliated with the Roman Catholic Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. My vocation and avocation is politics. My favorite pastime is driving the backroads of Kentucky and southern Indiana, visiting small towns, political hangouts, courthouses, churches, and cemeteries. You are welcome to ride with me sometime.